As a new year begins people often embrace change that comes along with it. Since South Mobile County is a community full of great traditions, very little aside from the weather changes year-to-year. In fact, throughout the year Dauphin Island and the Villages of South Mobile County are home to countless CAN’T MISS events.
We thought we would help you get a jump start on your New Year’s Resolution and give you 20 reasons to visit South Mobile County in 2020. The only problem here was narrowing it down to 20!
- 5th Annual Little Red School House Chili & Wing Cook off. This annual party is the best way to spice up your new year! Join the locals of Dauphin Island at Pirates Bar & Grill for a family fun day filled with tastings of wings, chili and specialty dishes, as well as, live music from the Ryan Dyer Band!
- Mardi Gras 2020 in SoMo. Being a part of the birthplace of Mardi Gras and home of the first Mardi Gras parade of the entire season, there is no doubt that this year’s celebration will be a revelrous time that you don’t want to miss! The best part is since South Mobile is home to over five different parading opportunities to catch your favorite Moon Pie.
- Bellingrath Gardens and Home’s Azalea Bloom Out. What better way to celebrate the start of Spring than by basking in the beauty of more than 250,000 vibrant azaleas throughout the 65 acres of Bellingrath Gardens.
- Discovery Day 2020. Arguably one of the most beautiful days on Dauphin Island as the Dauphin Island Sea Lab hosts their annual open house where the public is able to learn about our coastal environment and the research the Sea Lab team is working on. This is the perfect opportunity to learn about the true beauty which lies in our precious and unique environment.
- 11th Annual Dauphin Island Gumbo Festival. Enjoy the best Gumbo cook-off on the entire Gulf Coast as you taste local recipes made right in front of you, while you dance the day away to live music.
- Blessing of the Fleet. South Mobile County is home to a hugely successful shrimping community, so every first weekend of May the Archbishop of the Diocese of Mobile heads down to Bayou la Batre to hold a blessing over the fleet of shrimp boats, followed by a boat parade on the Bayou of course. Join the celebration and enjoy all types of seafood, kids activities and music.
- Sunday Sunset Concerts. Rock and roll your way through the summer as the Town of Dauphin Island hosts monthly Sunset Concerts right on the beach! The only thing you need to know about these events is that you will need to bring your boogie shoes because no one leaves without cutting a few rugs.
- West End Beach Movies. Movie theaters are so overrated, grab your towel and some good company and head to the West End Beach at Dauphin Island to enjoy showings of blockbuster classics!
- Grand Bay Watermelon Festival. Quite possibly the juiciest event of the year, this century-long tradition is the best way to celebrate 4th of July each year. Get to know the locals, enjoy the scenery of South Mobile County and most of all eat some home-grown juicy melons!
- Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo and Festivities. Each year the biggest party on the coast of Alabama happens right on SoMo’s Town of Dauphin Island. Every July, the Alabama Deep Sea Fishing rodeo hosts a weekend full of good times with live music, a liars contest and of course the Rodeo itself.
- 156th Annual Battle of Mobile Bay. Many visitors to Dauphin Island embark on a journey to see the Historic Fort Gaines, but if you really want to step it up this new year then this is the event for you. Spend a day learning about the history behind the Battle of Mobile Bay and the integral role that Fort Gaines played during this important battle of the Civil War.
- Mobile International Speedway Annual Events. Channel your inner Ricky Bobby as South Mobile County’s own raceway hosts special events and races throughout the racing season from March through October of 2020.
- Boo! At Bellingrath. Embrace the spookiness of this historic mansion as they host a family fun day for all of the ghouls and goblins. Expect bags filled with candy and some tired little ghosts who may have jumped too long on the inflatables as you pull away from the great lawn of Bellingrath Gardens and Home.
- Massacre Island Bike Ride. Once known as Massacre Island, the Town of Dauphin Island embraces this heritage as costumed locals and visitors get on their bikes and embark on a creepy ride throughout the island.
- WWII Living History. Twice a year Historic Fort Gaines hosts a campaign where visitors can experience a day in the life of a World War II soldier, as soldiers perform drills throughout the day, set up authentic camp sites and the site blacksmith works in the fort’s original blacksmith shop.
- Cascading Chrysanthemums. This award winning show hosted by Bellingrath Gardens and Home will show visitors the true beauty of fall as they walk through the garden filled while it is filled with thousands of mums making it the largest display of Cascading Chrysanthemums in the entire nation.
- 37th Annual Renaissance Festival. Knights in Armor will storm the castle, Lords, Ladies, Artists, and other Medieval Merchants will happily be your company, and you can even watch the resident Blacksmith as he demonstrates his craft at this authentic event held annually by the Barony of the Osprey.
- Alabama Pecan Festival. Held on the grounds of a local school in South Mobile County, this “nutty” event is a great time to enjoy friends, arts & crafts, entertainment and of course locally grown pecans and pecan treats!
- Magic Christmas in Lights. Bellingrath Gardens and Home lights up the skies every holiday season with their magnificent display of over 3 million lights. You are sure to see some fish on land, the Coca Cola bear and maybe even a partridge in a pear tree.
- Christmas in the Sand. If snow-filled days are not your thing, come celebrate the holiday season with the Town of Dauphin Island as they host their Annual Christmas Pageant, Christmas Parade, Town Tree Lighting, Christmas Through the Ages Event and Boat parade, all filled with holiday cheer and maybe even a few appearances from the big man himself!
Now that you know the top 20 reasons to visit Dauphin Island and the Villages of South Mobile County in this New Year all you have to do is start packing for your trip in the Sunset Capital of the South!